Red Fern Lingerie’s products are designed with sexy survivors® in mind.
All bras have been tested by real sexy survivors®. We have a panel of women (breast cancer survivors at different stages of their personal journey) who trial the bras and provide feedback regarding, fit, comfort, function and style. The Red Fern brand knows survivors and their needs. The bras are functional with a pocket in each cup to allow for a secure fit when the breast prosthesis inserted. The pockets are lined in cotton.
Bra Sizing Chart
Red Fern Lingerie understands that the bra fit is extremely important for the prosthesis, as well as comfort and style.
Ideally, we would recommend that you are professionally fitted every 6 months to ensure that you are wearing the correct size. This recommendation comes from that a woman’s body is constantly changing and that change includes breast(s).
As an online store, physically trying the bra on before purchase is not possible. Following are some hints for you to consider:
Please use the sizing chart to ensure you purchase the correct size bra. Please note that all measurements are metric in centimetres. Also, please remember there is no standard sizing in the lingerie industry and each brand sizes vary. As such, we strongly recommend you always measure yourself before placing your purchase.
1. Measure your cup size. You do this by measuring the fullest part of your breast, usually over your nipples all around across your upper back.
2. Measure your under-breast size. This is also called band size or body size. You do this by measuring underneath your breast all around across your back. You need to ensure that the measuring tape is quite firm.
3. If you had a double mastectomy with no reconstruction, measure your under-breast size as described in point 1. Your under-breast size is positioned approximately half-way between your elbow and shoulder. Please measure this position and choose the cup size that co-relates to your prosthesis.
4. If you had a single mastectomy with no reconstruction, measure your breast for the cup size. Your prosthesis would have been fitted to match your breast.
5. If you had a lumpectomy, measure your larger breast.
6. Use the measurements and check the chart. For example, if you measured your under-breast as 75cm, your size will be 12. If you measure your cup size as 90cm, your cup size is B. From these two measurements you should fit into 12B.
• Always use the middle hook to try on the bra. This will allow you to adjust the fit (loosen or tighten) as required. If the band is uncomfortably tight and the hook and eye is straining, then the back size is too small and you will need to try the next under-breast (band) size.
• To ensure your breast and/or breast prosthesis is completely encased in the cup, place your hand into the cup to position your breast and/or breast prosthesis in place.
• If your cups dimple, wrinkle, or if there is space at the top or sides, the cup is too big and you need to try a smaller cup size.
• If you are falling out of a full coverage bra you need to move up a cup size. Any amount of swelling or spilling means the cup is too small.
• A bra should always be supported by the band. If your bra is riding up it means the band may be too loose. Start by trying a tighter hook. If that isn’t enough you may need to try a smaller band size (which means you will need to up a cup size).
• To eliminate back fat you will need to go down a size as the bra band is too big and sits too high. The band should sit lower on the back.
• If your bra strap is digging into your shoulder you may have the straps too tight so start by loosening them. The straps should be firm but not too tight. If they remain tight after loosening them, the straps are supporting too much weight of the breast(s) and the band may not be giving enough support. You will need to try a smaller band size.
• If your straps fall down this means your bra band is riding up and you probably need to go down a band size.
• A great test is that you should have enough space to fit two fingers under the straps.
Brief Sizing Chart
Please use the sizing chart to ensure you purchase the correct size brief. Please note that all measurements are metric in centimetres. Also, please remember there is no standard sizing in the lingerie industry and each brand sizes vary. As such, we strongly recommend you always measure yourself before placing you purchase.
To measure your brief size, measure across your hip bones and all around your lower back.
Lingerie Wash & Care
Due to the delicate nature of the fabrics and elastics used in our lingerie we recommend hand washing. We cannot accept any responsibility if the lingerie is machine washed and the lingerie is damaged.
Please care for your delicates as follows and they will care for you:
- DO - hand wash your bras and briefs in lukewarm water
- DO - use a delicate detergent.
- DO - line dry
Please don't be cheeky and ignore the following:
- DON’T - use harsh detergents such as bleach. This may cause the fabric to bleach or degrade the lace and elastic.
- DON'T - machine wash your garments
- DON’T - wring them out
- DON’T – tumble dry the garments
- DON’T – iron
- DON’T - dry-clean
Lingerie Washing in the Machine
Red Fern Lingerie recommends hand washing only. We advise that you do not machine wash your bras and briefs. We cannot accept any responsibility if the lingerie is machine washed and they damage.
Lingerie Washing in Wash-bags
Red Fern Lingerie recommends hand washing only. We advise that you do not machine wash your bras and briefs, even in wash-bags. Again, we cannot accept any responsibility if the lingerie is machine washed in a wash-bag and they damage.
Never tumble dry. Even on a low heat setting, the temperature may still damage any elastic in the fabric and shorten the life span of the bra and brief. We cannot accept any responsibility if the lingerie is tumble dried and they damage.
Storage of your bras
Storing your lingerie properly will help it to look good for longer. We recommend you have a separate drawer for the lingerie. Store them flat and make sure the hook and eye are secured.
If you have any further enquiries on lingerie care & sizing simply contact us on our customer support Email